Sunday, September 13, 2009

"I carried a watermelon"

Have you seen Dirty Dancing? It is an all time favorite of mine. I used to stay up late with my Cousin watching it night after night. That was back in my first college days. We were roomies, and we mostly got along. If we weren't getting along we would still watch Dirty Dancing together. Nothing brings two teenage girls together quite like Patrick Swayze.


 

Yeah, this ol' movie is packed with great one liners that just about anyone can win the"Name that Movie" game with. Do you remember:

"Nobody puts Baby in the corner!"

... or my personal favorite:

"I carried a watermelon."



What you don't remember that one? Let me help: Baby gets invited to the staff party by Swayze's cousin. Ya know, the neardy one. He introduces her to the coolest guy around and she says:

"I carried a watermelon."

Like apologizing for being there or something. The look on her face after she spills that jewel of a line is priceless. Thats prolly why I will have it forever stuck in my head. Its a slap yourself in the forehead; did I really just say that out loud; yes, there really are other people in the room that DID in fact hear you ... kind of moment. I have a lot of those moments. Yessir, like, all the time.  Its sad really.





Luckily for Baby, all that happened to her was that she got to learn how to dance. How come that never happens to me? When I screw up I want someone to take pity on me and say "Here, let me show you" like I am not as dumb as my mouth just made me out to be...


I had a mental slap moment today. I was on Facebook, which I find to be totally addicting, and realized that there is an entire time in my life that is not represented. After I had Jaren and before moving to Fayetteville. I had TONS of friends, and I even went out sometimes, and people liked me!

 It just so happens that I never keep in contact with these people. I needed to rectify that oversight, the years of my life need equal representation on Facebook dang-it!



So there I was, searching for the few (and I mean very few) people who's names I could remember in full and it occurred to me (insert mental head slap here) that what I was doing was the equivalent of:

"I carried a watermelon"

BECAUSE, these people had moved on with their lives, and I was no longer on the guest list. Kinda like  I moved on- and got married, and had kids, and became a Montana resident even though all my people live in North Carolina.... I had booted myself off their guest list, and didn't remember to include them on mine.



So if you are one of those people who open up Facebook today and see that you have a friends request from some punk that you used to know like 8 or 10 years ago but haven't spoken to her in just as much time...

Please forgive me for intruding, even though I carried a watermelon. I leave the melon and all its watery goodness for you to enjoy, but please don't add me to your friends list unless you mean it. And then we can be friends for-ev-er! And I will bake you cookies, cause we are tight like that.










No comments:

Post a Comment