Friday, September 18, 2009

Road Trippin

The last few months will forever be known as: The Summer of the Camry. My Camry, that is. Cause I can't seem to stay out of it. I can't keep the kids out either, or the dog. It gets pretty cramped in there.



This is M. M is punk 2's new best friend!

We left Montana in May. Bozeman, Montana had been our home for less than a year. I wasn't too sad to see it go. It was a hard year to say the least.

So we set off on a whirlwind adventure. From Montana we went to Chicago. Chicago Baby! The good ol' Windy City! There was so much to do and see- there was no way to try and fit it into 3 days. So we didn't bother. We checked out the Brookfield Zoo, my friend M's new apartment, and umm, the super cheezy hotel complete with ringed hot tub.




And when I say ringed, I don't mean intricate tile work circling the inside. Nope, I mean like dead skin cells and bodily oils of some sort. I did not get in. But I guess that goes without saying. At least I hope it does.

The only time we made it to downtown Chicago, the part you see in all the glorious glossy travel brochures was upon departure. I couldn't get into the other lane because people there are not courteous drivers and was stuck in a left exit only lane. It took me an hour to get back onto the highway.




My first and only impression of downtown Chicago was claustrophobic. There were sidewalks and then 10 or 18 story buildings as far as the eye could see; which it turns out wasn't very far cause even more building blocked the view. I couldn't see the sky, there was nothing green. It was monotone: Grey on Grey with the occasional Red Brick thrown in.
It was kinda scary. How does anyone live there? I decided that lack of anything organic and green causes whatever that craziness is that causes crime rates to be higher in cities than in small towns. Moving on.



This punk was all about kissing the goats.
Once we finally navigated back to the Interstate I knew I had an upcoming exit to get to yet another interstate. It didn't look all that far on the map. 2 hours later I decided I had missed my exit. Whoever was navigating this trip needs to be fired!



After a potty break I busted out "ye old atlas" to figure out where the heck I was and determine how I was going to get to where I needed to go. Yep, I said ATLAS. I don't have a GPS. I am old skool. And eventually I even made it to where I was going. But that’s a story for tomorrow.


One of these days I will remember to keep my eyes
open in a picture
I would like to add that I loved Brookfield Zoo. And I loved hanging out with M. She even brought us Chicago Pizza. She delivered it right to our hotel and everything. She didn't want to go in the hot tub either. She's clean like that.




M had a friend accompany us to the Zoo. His name is John and he took all the pictures with his super sweet camera. He is better at taking pictures than I am. He can even change his lens to fit what he is shooting. I wanted to try his camera, but it was intimidating. And scary. And expensive. And they don't call me Grace for nothin!



 Whale was swimming with the dolphins 


Stay Tuned: our trip didn't end here.

No comments:

Post a Comment