Thursday, October 8, 2009

Army Wives, Well-Wishers, and Red Necks, Post 3

Here is the conclusion to Post 1 and Post 2. Enjoy!



Then there are the Red Necks. Oh how I struggle to hold back the tide of red neck jokes that pour into my e-mail box almost daily. A year ago I wouldn't have even thought to add Red Necks to my list as I didn't know any personally. When we bought our house I was surprised to find that I was now surrounded by them. From a glance they look like everyday working class people, it isn't until you engage in conversation that the Red Neck comes out. The hard to understand broken southern drawl, the lingo that is exclusive to this group is fascinating to behold. I will still scratch my head trying to figure out what the neighbor lady just said, and I have lived here for just over a year now.

There is something appealing about the Red Neck. They have four-wheelers, off-road rigs, dirt bikes, and lots and lots of cold beer. "Get 'er done" seems to be their motto. They are constantly on the go- takin' care of business. Their lawns are mowed at least twice a week, and the cleanliness level in their homes puts me to shame. They are truly the unsung heroes in my neighborhood. When they see me outside pushing the mower with one hand and holding the baby in the other they come running. When my car breaks they just so happen to have all the parts they need to fix it sitting in their garage. When I am trying to carry the 50 pound bag of dog food into the garage they are there to give me a hand.

They are uncomplicated. They expect nothing in return. They even give me veggies that were home grown in their backyard garden. They wait till I am not at home to mow my yard. They are great people and I love them for it. They assess my situation in their own way- "Haven't seen the old man in a while, he gone again?" A simple yes from me is all it takes for them to step up to the plate. They don't ask what I need; they just look around and find stuff to take care of. I don't know what I would do without them. They- the Red Necks-  are my heroes.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment